Did you know that over a third of the population of American adults are sleep deprived? According to experts, adults should have at least seven hours of sleep daily to ensure that they maintain optimal health and overall well-being. Unfortunately, most adults struggle to meet the required hours of sleep.
The top reason behind this is because of our changed lifestyle. Aside from busy work schedules, we find ourselves spending more time in front of our mobile devices, computers, and televisions. These activities make us lose sleep or compromise our time to let our bodies and mind rest. If you experience the exact scenario in your life, you need to pay more attention to the way you spend your free time. Instead of immersing yourself with time-consuming habits, you need to focus on getting more sleep.
Importance of Having Enough Sleep
- Improves focus and productivity
- Helps you perform better
- Helps have a stronger immune system
- Strengthens mental and emotional well-being
Home Remedies to Get More Sleep
- Decrease caffeine and alcohol intake—Try and avoid drinking too much coffee. The caffeine in it stimulates your brain and makes you lose sleep. Caffeine helps your mind stay active for hours, so avoid it if you plan to hit the sack soon. As for alcoholic drinks, some people drink it because they believe it will help them have a better sleep. Unfortunately, when taken in large doses and regularly, you will slowly build up alcohol tolerance, which disrupts sleep and causes feelings of sleepiness during the daytime.
- Take a hot bath before heading to bed—If you are tired and stressed because of a long day, go and take a hot bath or shower before bed. After freshening up, your body will feel more relaxed and comfortable. Your body's temperature will be regulated, and your brain will start telling you to enjoy a good night's sleep.
- Make your bedroom as cozy as possible—Update your bedroom and ensure that you have the most comfortable bed sheets and pillows. Search for high-quality items, such as bamboo sheets or a memory foam pillow. These items help you to catch Z's in no time.
- Try to get sleep the moment you feel tired or sleepy—If you feel like you are about to pass out because you are too tired, go to bed. Don't let that sleepiness pass by continuing whatever you're doing. If you need to finish something, do it after taking a nap, even just for a few minutes.
It's exciting to watch the new episodes of your favorite series on television. It's also tempting to keep playing that game that everyone is raving about. Keep in mind that doing leisure activities that you like is okay. However, you need to be mindful of how you manage your time. Never compromise your time to sleep and rest. You can always do all the fun things at a different time, but you can never take back the time you failed to get enough sleep.
If you want to stay fit and healthy, getting enough rest is necessary. If you're going to accomplish a lot of things in life, you have to start taking care of yourself. Having a healthy mind and body is the first step towards improving your abilities to achieve short-term and long-term goals.